Thursday 23 January 2014

Final Days In Denmark/Getting To London

Guess what!? I finally made it to LONDON!! However getting to London meant that one really, really sad event had to occur... I had to say goodbye to my AMAZING host family.

Thursday:
It was just another day at school, but we received the English essays, that we submitted in the first week of my being in Denmark, back. I got a 12 on my essay,which is the best score you can get, so that was reassuring. Natacia had her first day of work that day after school, which meant that I had to catch the bus home by myself and spend the evening by myself with my host mum and dad, which wasn't so bad. So Natacia spent 8 hours at work, earning herself some money, while I went home, had some afternoon tea with the parents, spent some time on my laptop, then we made dinner of left over lasagna and left over curry, meatballs and rice... it was really quite delicious. Susanne and I then watched a movie until Kurt brought Natacia home. Unfortunately Natacia's work asked her to work again the following afternoon/evening. We had planned that we were going to spend the afternoon together in Slagelse, so as a compromise Susanne said that instead of going to school the next day we could spend the day together.

Friday:
We went into Slagelse around 9:30 ish, and wandered around the shopping centre, I bought some chocolate to take home with me. For lunch we went to a cafe and ate some nacho's, which were quite nice, though nothing like what we call nacho's in Australia... After lunch we went into the school so I could say goodbye and give the class a small gift of thank you and farewell. I gave them Tim Tam's and Ipswich Pride pins, and after a quick photo Natacia and I were on our way again. That evening Natacia went to work and Susanne and I collected Oliver from the train station.

Saturday:
On Saturday morning I made a Pavlova, we pulled out some Danish and Australian flags, set the table, plated up the Pav and Lamingtons (courtesy of Alice, last year's exchange scout), and invited the whole family over for a farewell morning tea. It was a lovely morning getting to have a final chat to everyone. Saturday evening we had a lovely family dinner at home, with just the five of us, and it was a really nice evening to end such an enjoyable time together.

Sunday:
The final day. Natacia and I had had a bit of a late night, staying up into the wee hours of the morning talking. We all had breakfast together, the final items were placed into my bags, I dressed in my uniform and got ready to leave. It was absolutely heartbreaking to have to say goodbye to such an amazing family who had done so much for me during my stay. I honestly can not thank them enough for making my stay the best it possibly could have been, they went above and beyond what I expected from a host family, I truly felt as though I belonged, and they have become my family. Saying goodbye at the airport was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. THANK YOU SO MUCH KURT, SUSANNE, OLIVER and especially NATACIA FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME!

The flight to London was filled with absolute disbelief that our 7 week host family stay was over, and the sharing of stories from all the things we had done and shared with our host families. In just under 2 hours we had arrived in LONDON! The final week of our trip was about to begin. However first we had to get to the hotel...
We dragged our suitcases through the airport, hauled them on and off the tube (the underground train network), and then very slowly (and slightly painfully) dragged them through the streets of Notting Hill til we made it to our destination... a hotel, which you may notice is not BP House, Kensington Court Hotel, Notting Hill, London! Home for the next week. Of course, just to make things difficult, my room was on the top floor, 96 stairs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment